With 40,000 questionable names on the electoral roll, as admitted by the Election Commission (EC), PAS wants to know whatever happened to EC's advanced Agency Link-Up System (ALIS) connecting it with the National Registration Department (NRD).
The query was made by Johor PAS Youth chief Suhaizan Kaiat, in response to EC chairperson Abdul Aziz Mohd Yusof's announcement that the questionable names in the electoral roll would be displayed for public scrutiny.
The list is to be displayed for public viewing at more than 1,000 places nationwide, as well as on the EC website and in newspapers.
"First of all, I would like to give my compliments to Abdul Aziz for finally complying with the people's demand to clean up the electoral roll," Suhaizan said.
"Prior to this, the EC was so proud of having its ALIS system, which connects it with the NRD.
"And before this, the EC had announced that there were 50,000 questionable names... I'm not sure how 10,000 names of questionable voters disappeared, suddenly," Suhaizan said.
Suhaizan, who is also PAS' Democracy Restoration and Mobilisation Bureau chief, however quizzed the need to make public the names in the media when the NRD has a "sophisticated database" for the EC to run a quick check to ascertain the validity of the voters.
'A thorough overhaul needed'
Among the questions Suhaizan posed were:
- Shouldn’t the EC and the NRD already have the capability to distinguish between a legitimate voter and an imposter? Doesn’t the NRD have all the identities of Malaysians?;
- Why should t he EC display the names of the 40,000 to identify if they are dead or alive? Doesn’t the NRD have the names of the dead in their database? Is the NRD so weak that they do not posses the record of the dead?;
- Why did the EC realise only now that there are doubtful names? If they did not realise it sooner, wh at is the status of the 12th general election, with a tainted electoral roll?;
- Has the EC lost confidence in the NRD because of the weakness of their database? If the EC has no trust in the NRD, what is the need for ALIS? ; and,
- What is the EC plan to resolve NRD’s weakness? Will the EC agree that the Home Minister whose responsibility also includes overseeing the NRD, resign?
The EC's admission said Suhaizan(left), lent truth to the accusation that the master roll needs a thorough overhaul and gave credence to all the efforts of civil society movements.
Pushing for such reforms, the Coalition for Clean and Fair Election (Bersih 2.0) movement had led more than 50,000 people from across the nation to march the streets of the capital on July 9.
The authorities have since been fiercely criticised for their mishandling of the rally with their crackdown.
40 ribu nama diragui, apa jadi dengan ALIS
Kewarganegaraan segera gadai maruah negara- Saifuddin