02 May 2007

MGG.Pillai,an icon on cyber journalism.....

A year ago,a well known journalist,MGG.Pillai passed away. MGG.Pillai was a well known figure in the world of journalism in this region and was one who pioneered cyber journalism via his famous MGG.Pillai.com website.

I enjoyed reading his articles since the 70’s and the 80’s that appeared in FEER,Asiaweek etc,while working as a freelance journalist. His critical thoughts,insightful investigative and analytical report had created uneasiness among our political masters not only in Malaysia,but in Singapore too. As a result of his writing,he was barred from entry into that island republic for years. Even our local mass media were not allowed to publish his critical thoughts,as a result many of our readers hardly ever knew him.


He became an icon to thousands of cyber readers only when cyber journalism started to bloom during the reformasi days;at the time when Anwar Ibrahim was sent to Sungai Buloh on trumped-up charges. His articles touches on every aspect of our Malaysian society,from racial,social,economical issues to political rumour mongering. I enjoyed his journalistic antics and on what he wrote,though a little doubtful,but it did make sense somehow or other.


Though,I havent met MGG.Pillai in person,but we kept corresponding via emails occassionaly.The last email I received from him, MGG.Pillai wrote,"Are you in Kuala Lumpur? If you are, perhaps it is time we met, and exchange views over a cuppa?" Sad,enough,I couldn’t fulfill his request,but promised a rain check,but then it was already too late.


I missed you,my dear friend,rest in peace and allow me to use your signature trademark “cheers” just as to remind me that you are a hero on free and unmolested journalistic freedom and will continue to propagate your message to the rest of the world.


"Little things I should have said and done
I just never took the time

You were always on my mind

You were always on my mind

You were always on my mind"

- Willie Nelson

cheers

3 comments:

SP said...

Dear sir,

Thank you for the kind words that you penned for my father MGG Pillai. I do hope that we can keep in touch, I am a former journalist and have started blogging to keep my father's spirit alive. My name is Sreejit, his eldest. I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards

Sreejit

ali allah ditta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ali allah ditta said...

Dear Sreejit,

Being an ardent fan of your dad,its quite suprising to see you dropping by.Thanks. Though,thru our correspondance,little did the late Mr.Pillai mentioned you by name.

Btw, I think its isnt too late for me to accept his invitation for an exchange of views over a cuppa. How about that?

Lets keep the ball rolling by mailing me at minahkerang@fastmail.us.

cheers.