16 April 2009

Elizabeth Wong to resume work .................

Bukit Lanjan state assemblywoman and Selangor executive councillor for environment, tourism and consumer affairs Elizabeth Wong will return to work. This follow's her acceptance of the state's offer for her to continue her services in both post despite being hounded by continous threats from unknown persons.

In a statement to the media Wong said: "This is the hardest decision that I have had to make in my life and it is with the greatest humility that I accept the Selangor state’s offer to remain in office.

"My only wish is to serve my constituents and the state to the best of my abilities and with the help and cooperation of the people, to make this state, this country a better place for all. The struggle continues, and our work has just begun," she said in response to Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim's offer this morning to retain her in both positions.

"These past two months have been more than an ordeal, one which I would never have wished for any citizen to have to suffer through," said Wong whose intimate photographs were circulated in the internet.

"I have been stripped bare publicly – both figuratively and literally – by force and against my will. My personal life has been violated and assaulted by none other than criminals. Even up to this evening, I continue to receive threats from unknown persons," she said.

Wong said what happened was not a scandal, as some have suggested, but a clear criminal act.

"This is no less a form of criminal intimidation, a form of political violence, and one which, if I chose to retreat into silence, would in turn indirectly affect women, especially women politicians," she said..

Gutter politics is not and should not be part of our political culture, and for those who depend on exploiting and supporting such a crime, is an indication of the kind of politicians and persons they are, she added.

"I stand for a person’s right to privacy. I stand for ‘new politics’ – a politics that encourages intellectual discourse, reasoned polemics and ideological debates, not one which resorts to gutter-level politicking which seek to smear, to slander and to violate one’s privacy to score political points," Wong said.

"I wish to thank the Mentri Besar and the Selangor Exco, my staff, my fellow ADUNs, fellow politicians from Pakatan Rakyat and Barisan Nasional, PKR leaders, the Women’s wing of PKR and the grassroots, and my legal team for their support and guidance," she said.

Respectfully, I wish to thank the Sultan of Selangor for his guidance, she added.

"I am humbled by the encouragement and support shown by the media, my family and friends, non-governmental organisations, the tens of thousands of people who signed the petitions on my behalf and wrote to me, and especially my constituents who stood by me in these trying times," she said.

I also wish to thank the Police for their professionalism in addressing the issue at hand and I look forward to them apprehending and charging the criminals soonest, she added.

source:theSun

Good to see U back.

You all kena baca info hot di sini.

cheers.

No comments: