The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has quizzed PKR strategic director Rafizi Ramli over his graft allegations on the RM1 billion Ampang Line LRT extension project.

According to his lawyer N Surendran, four MACC officers questioned Rafizi for about 15 minutes at the PKR headquarters this evening. 

rafizi ramli investigated macc 270612Surendran said that the main purpose of the visit was to ascertain the veracity of a Malaysiakini report on a press conference held by Rafizi this morning, where he accused Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak interfering in the bidding process for the lucrative project.

Contacted later, Rafizi said he felt relieved with the unprecedented display of urgency by the MACC on this topic. 

“This means we are hitting the right notes. It is highly unlikely that they will act with this much urgency, unless we has rattled those in power.

“Finally, we are heard. I think MACC realise that if left to us, we would continue with the exposé. I think the public has enough confidence in our work,” said Rafizi, who despite exposing several scandals have never been quizzed by the MACC until today.

Order came from MACC chief

Rafizi was contacted by the MACC at 5pm, just four hours after the press conference, and requested that he be immediately present at the commission’s headquarters at Putrajaya.

However, Rafizi said he was willing to be questioned tonight at the PKR headquarters, where he will be attending a meeting.

NONESurendran (left) said the visit by the MACC officers appeared to be informal, as they only wanted to verify the veracity of the article and asked if Rafizi had documents to back his claim.

“They ask if we have documents. We told them to conduct proper investigations first and then we will provide the necessary.

“They didn't go beyond that. They just needed to ask these preliminary question,” said Surendran, who is also PKR vice president.

He said the four officers had also revealed that they were acting on orders by MACC chief Abu Kassim Mohamed.

For now, Rafizi expects to be picked up any time soon for further questioning as this is allowed by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission Act 2009.

“This is a departure from all the previous exposés. This is the first time I’m being called. It is going to be interesting,” said Rafizi, who is best remembered for his string of exposés on the National Feedlot Corporation scandal.

Will Rafizi be muzzled?

Asked if the investigations would hamper his scheduled efforts to reveal more about the alleged scandal, Rafizi said PKR will go ahead with its plans, but with caution.

“We have to navigate between questioning and our own pursuit of the case. I hope the MACC will not use the law and this investigation to muzzle me.

“It is too big a case not to be taken to the public gallery,” he said, stressing that

NONERafizi said that it is highly unlikely that the MACC was unaware of his allegations, which are being heavily discussed by industry players close to the project.

Earlier today, Rafizi had told a press conference that the project had been awarded to Balfour Beatty-Invensys Consortium (Balfour).

However, he claimed that interference by Najib had led to the project being awarded to a consortium led by George Kent Bhd, which allegedly bid a higher price.

Rafizi also released the minutes of a Finance Ministry's Procurement Committee (JPMK) meeting dated Jan 25, which he said backed his claim.

The minutes were signed by Najib, who is also finance minister, Second Finance Minister Ahmad Husni Mohamad Hanadzlah and Finance Ministry secretary-general Wan Abd Aziz Wan Abdullah.- malaysiakini