The police have recorded former prime minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad's statement, his lawyer Haniff Khatri Abdullah revealed today.
Speaking to reporters outside the Yayasan Al-Bukhary building in Kuala Lumpur, where the statement was recorded this morning, Haniff said the investigation is not specific to any issue.
"Investigations are being carried out in a general manner and not specific to a particular issue," he added.
Haniff also declined to comment on which section Mahathir is being investigated under.
Asked whether the police would record another statement from his client, the lawyer said that depended on the police.
"But for us, we believe there is no reason for the police to come again because all the issues that needed to be detailed have been done," Haniff added.
Previously, inspector-general of police Khalid Abu Bakar said Mahathir is being investigated under Section 500 of the Penal Code for defamation.
This is in relation to police reports lodged over his remarks that Umno division leaders have taken money.
Mahathir made the statement during his appearance at the Bersih 4 rally on Aug 29-30.
The rally was held to press for Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak's resignation.
Mahathir has repeatedly called on Najib to step down, accusing the prime minister of numerous misdeeds, including theft.
However, Najib has denied any wrongdoing and accused Mahathir of being part of a conspiracy to topple him. - mk
Tak perlu soal Mahathir lagi, kata peguam
I will not stop criticising Najib, Dr M says...
Dr Mahathir Mohamad, who was visited by three police officers today has refused to divulge any information to the media over what transpired between them and him and his team of lawyers but said it would not stop him from continuing to criticise Prime Minister Najib Razak.
When met by reporters outside the Albukhary Foundation building here today, Mahatir did however say he had refused to answer the questions posed to him by the police.
He did not however elaborate if it pertained to only certain questions or all the questions the police asked of him.
“They asked questions, I said I will not answer. I don’t censor anything,” Mahathir said.
When asked on which section he was being investigated under, Mahathir admitted that he himself was not privy to the information and said, “It’s up to them, I don’t know. It’s up to them.”
Asked if he would leave Umno after this morning’s questioning, Mahathir simply said, “No no no.”
Earlier today, three Bukit Aman police officers paid Mahathir a visit at his office to take his statements over several incidents, his lawyer, Haniff Khatri Abdulla told reporters.
Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar had told the media much earlier that Mahathir would be questioned over comments he made when he attended the Bersih 4 rally on August 29 and 30 as several police reports had been lodged against him.
Mahathir, 90, has been on a public campaign to get Najib to step down as prime minister on allegations of corruption linked to 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) and a RM2.6 billion donation deposited in his private bank accounts in 2013.- fmt
Arul masih mau selindung di celah kangkang Pandikar....
Saya menyahut tawaran terbuka Arulkanda sebelum ini bahawa beliau sanggup berdebat dengan Tony Pua tanpa syarat.
Oleh kerana Speaker memutuskan YB Tony Pua tidak boleh berdebat, Pakatan Harapan memutuskan debat berlangsung di antara saya dan Arulkanda.
Tiba-tiba Arulkanda menarik diri dan memberi pelbagai alasan. Saya mohon share posting ini sekiranya Sdr/i setuju debat diadakan untuk mendapatkan jawapan mengenai 1MDB.- Rafizi Ramli
Sementara itu, Ahli Parlimen Pandan, Rafizi Ramli berikrar akan terus mengasak presiden 1MDB Arul Kanda Kandasamy sehingga beliau menerima cabaran berdebat dengannya mengenai isu yang melanda firma milik negara yang bermasalah itu.
Katanya, Arul Kanda telah mennyahut cabaran untuk berbahas tanpa syarat dan tidak boleh memungkiri janjinya.
"Penerimaannya (untuk berdebat) adalah tanpa syarat. Jika kucing mahu berdebat dengannya, sekalipun, beliau mesti berdebat kucing.
"Jika beliau tarik balik (kata-katanyan) seminggu kemudian, maka ini menunjukkan bahawa 1MDB mahu menyembunyikan sesuatu,” kata Rafizi pada sidang media di lobi Parlimen hari ini.
Ketika ditanya bagaimana beliau akan mengasak Arul Kanda, setiausaha agung PKR itu berkata beliau akan memikirkan caranya kemudian.
Rafizi berkata Arul Kanda mempunyai tanggungjawab untuk berdebat.
"Tugasnya sebagai CEO 1MDB adalah memberikan jawapan (kerana) duit kita (rakyat) dalam 1MDB," katanya. - mk
Arul: I respect Rafizi, but speaker has last say...
Arul Kanda said this was out of respect for Dewan Rakyat Speaker Pandikar Amin Mulia, who ruled that any debate should take place after the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) hearings on 1MDB.
"I respect Rafizi as a worthy opponent. He is a good debater, orator and gentleman. I enjoyed sparring with him in our younger days.
"However, the speaker is the ultimate authority on all matters relating to Parliament.
"He (the speaker) has made his ruling on my responsibility as a PAC witness and that any debate should only take place after the PAC hearings," Arul Kanda added in a statement today.
However, he said, 1MDB would respond to the questions Pua has listed for Arul Kanda to respond in the now scrapped Q&A session between the two.
Pandikar earlier said Pua (photo) must resign as a PAC member if he wants to take part in the debate, as the PAC hearing on 1MDB is still pending.
DAP said it would not be worth it for Pua to resign his PAC post to debate Arul Kanda.
Pua and Arul Kanda were supposed to duel tomorrow, live on television.
If Pua really wanted to make good his attack against him, the 1MDB chief said, Pua should have instead offered his place in the PAC to Rafizi.
That way, Pua could continue with the duel that the MP "aggressively harrassed me" to accept, Arul Kanda said.
He added that as a two-term MP, Pua was only playing political games, since he already knew parliamentary procedures.
"It was specifically YB Tony Pua who challenged me. He made it personal, and used mocking words like "I will not punch him", "my allegations", "embarrassing me", etcetera.
"There was never any question of a debate with Pakatan Harapan, which has now appeared out of nowhere, in a desperate and last-minute attempt, to save YB Tony Pua from embarrassment.
"These are clearly political games which I, as a professional, will not be drawn into," Arul Kanda added.- mk
Arul: Saya hormat Rafizi tapi speaker tak bagi debat
Bila kroni saja dapat habuan...
Najib tak mau saman WSJ pasai ganti rugi tak sampai 2.6 bilion...